Cookie Policy

We use cookies to make our website effective and useful for you. To continue, please accept the use of cookies.

I accept

How we use cookies

Northern Ireland Environment Link Logo





    Dec 2019 right left


    Tree Maintenance

    Sunday 1st December
    Gilford Castle, Gilford Village, Co Armagh

    Placemaking for a Healthier Belfast

    Monday 2nd December
    Assembly Buildings, 2–10 Fisherwick Place, Belfast

    The UKERC project OverCoME (Overcoming Conflict in Marine Energy)

    Monday 2nd December
    Waterfront ICC Belfast

    Visitor Safety Group Managing Informal Mountain Bike Trails Workshop

    Tuesday 3rd December
    Tollymore National Outdoor Centre, Newcastle

    The Role of Energy Storage in a Sustainable Future

    Tuesday 3rd December
    CREST – Centre for Renewable Energy & Sustainable Technology – SWC, Lough Yoan Road, Enniskillen BT74 4EJ

    Building cyber resilience for small organisations

    Wednesday 4th December
    NICVA, 61 Duncairn Gardens, Belfast BT15 2GB

    NIEL AGM 2019

    Thursday 5th December
    RSPB’s Window on Wildlife, 100 Airport Road, Belfast


    How wild is wild? Rewilding the island of Ireland

    Monday 9th December
    W5, 2 Queens Quay, Belfast BT3 9QQ
    £5.98 – £9.21

    BES Science Slam 2019

    Tuesday 10th December
    The Black Box, 18–22 Hill Street, Belfast BT1 2LA

    CFC Carbon Quiz – BES Annual Meeting Social Event

    Wednesday 11th December
    ICC Belfast, 2 Lanyon Place, Belfast BT1 3WH


    Making Environmentally Friendly Christmas Decorations

    Saturday 14th December
    South Belfast



    Agriculture has shaped much of the landscape of rural Northern Ireland, occupying approximately 73.9% of the total land area producing food and a range of public goods on which the people of Northern Ireland depend.


    Agricultural land can provide multiple benefits to society and how we use such land can play a pivotal role in climate change mitigation and adaptation, halting biodiversity loss, flood reduction, supporting productive agriculture and shaping places where people want to live and work.

    In April 2013, the Agri–Food Strategy Board produced ‘Going for Growth’, a strategic action plan for growth in the sector up to 2020. The strategy is very ambitious in terms of projected growth in employment (15%) and sales (60% overall, with 75% of sales outside Northern Ireland). These ambitious growth plans present a major risk to the environment and must be matched with an equal desire for environmental sustainability.

    In recent decades the CAP has pushed farming in an unsustainable direction. Agricultural intensification has resulted in unintended consequences for the environment such as declines in wildlife, problems with water quality and a reduction in soil quality, all of which form the productive base of agriculture.

    However, agriculture can be part of the solution, which is evidenced through the role farmers and land managers play in the maintenance of landscapes and delivery of current agri–environment schemes.  The CAP has not been effective at meeting one of its key outcomes of helping to build a resilient agricultural industry. In NI 87% of farm income is derived from EU subsidies– compared with 53% for the UK. Without financial support most farming in NI is uneconomically viable. This has been brought into stark relief by the risks posed to future agriculture support and the implications for farming as a result of the UK’s decision to the leave the EU.


    Read More

    Agricultural policy costs €57.7billion annually – 40% of the EU budget.

    The water footprint of agricultural products contributes by far the largest fraction of the total water footprint of EU27+1.

    Over the last 10 years, employment in farming has dropped by 25% with an overall loss of 3.7 million jobs.

    Annually 90 million tonnes of food, or 179kg per person, or 50% of all edible and healthy food is wasted in EU households, supermarkets, restaurants and along the food supply chain.

    The cost of soil degradation is estimated at €38billion annually.

    20% of all private sector employment in Northern Ireland is in the Agri–Food sector.

    The farming and processing industries contribute around £1billion per annum of value added to the local economy.

    Farm numbers and incomes have been declining in real terms for the past 28 years, while Northern Ireland’s primary agricultural outputs are livestock and dairy products, for both local consumption and export.

    Arable production has continued to decline since 1981. Potatoes, apples and mushrooms are the main crops for human use, with wheat, arable crop silage and other crops increasing in recent years.

    10% of Northern Ireland is woodland. 0.75% of NI is ancient woodland.